Thursday, January 31, 2013

Maintain or Move Forward


Last week someone came up to me and asked me, “How do you maintain your spiritual walk?” Now, I knew what they meant by the question – they were curious as to the spiritual disciplines and mechanics of my relationship with Christ.

But I hate that word…maintain. To me the word implies status quo, staying where you are, doing the smallest amount possible so as not to stagnate.

I prefer the words MOVE FORWARD. How do you move forward in your spiritual walk? How do you advance your relationship with Christ?
God never intended us to stay the same. He wants us to continually advance in our intimacy with Him.
I answered this person with something I learned years ago. If you are in any kind of love relationship, including your relationship with Christ, you need to do at least three things:

1.)    You listen to that person; one way of listening to God is through h reading His Word. Have you been listening lately?

2.)    You talk to the person you love; we talk to God by prayer. Have you been in conversation with Him lately and regularly?

3.)    You do things to please the person you love; if I am in love with God I present my body unto Him as a living sacrifice, I obey His will and purpose as this is pleasing to Him.

Let’s keep moving forward in our love for the Savior. Listen to God, talk to God, live your life pleasing God.


P.S. This Sunday, special guest speaker Neal Brower will present a message called “True believers are real lovers”. Raised in Fullerton, CA, schooled in Kearney, NE and Deerfield, IL, Neal has pastored in four churches. After 28 years of pastoral ministry, Neal now serves the Midwest District of the EFCA as its Church Planting Director. Co-author of seven books with his wife of 35 years, Judy, Neal is committed to values-driven, generational disciple-making. You’ll want to be at First Free this Sunday, February 3rd!

No comments:

Post a Comment