Thursday, February 6, 2014

Some Habits are very Good

Whenever I come across something I am reading that touches my life, I want to make sure that I pass it on to my friends. Recently, I came across an eBook entitled “The 5 Habits of Highly Missional People” by Michael Frost. I will list the 5 habits he writes about in this Freshly Bru’d but will feature each one in the weeks to come.
These habits are to unite us together as believers but also propel us into the lives of others. As we practice these habits they will re-energize and replenish us, and connect us more deeply to Jesus.
The Apostle James said it like this, “Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.” (James 2:18)
It is far more Biblical to see action as a powerful expression of the person who makes that action. Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung once said, “You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do.” Aristotle said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
Let’s take that idea and apply it to our faith. Faith is not just a belief system, it is a habit. And the habits we will unfold from Michael Frost’s book in the next 5 Freshly Bru’d issues will vitalize our faith if we put them into practice.
Here are the habits:
#1. Bless – I will bless three people each week, at least one of whom is unchurched.
#2. Eat – I will eat with three people this week, at least one of whom is unchurched.
#3. Listen – I will spend at least one period of the week listening for the Spirit’s voice.
#4. Learn – I will spend at least one period of the week learning Christ.
#5. Sent – I will journal throughout the week all the ways I alerted others to the universal reign of God through Christ.

Next week we will look at habit #1 in more detail and depth.
Blessings,
P.S. If you want to be challenged down to your socks, come and listen to Greg Stier, speaker for Dare 2 Share Ministries who will be at First Free this Sunday. This is a great opportunity to invite your unchurched friends – Sunday morning at 9:00am or 10:30am!

No comments:

Post a Comment