Thursday, May 1, 2014

How Should You Respond?

Have you ever felt like your life is spinning out of control? Do you ever think the world is spinning out of control? Does it seem like you’re going from one major crisis to the next to the next? Ever say “I wish the world or my life would slow down so I could at least catch my breath?”
How should we respond in the midst of crisis? Distress? The short answer is, no surprise: by praying. More than any other writings, the Hebrew and Christian hymn book, the Psalms show us how. From beginning to end you will see the Psalmist actively and fervently praying to God in various difficult and dire circumstances.
How many are my foes! Give me relief from my distress! Listen to my cry for help! Away from me all who do evil! Save and deliver me from all who pursue me! (Sampling from selected Psalms)

Often the Psalmist prays for physical salvation, thanking God for sparing his life, reminding himself of the results of living righteously in contrast to evil doers, and reminding himself of God’s faithfulness and support because of the scriptures.

Let me list 12 things you can do to turn to God in times of trouble and distress. I hope you will look up each reference.

1. Call out to the Lord (Psalm 61:1)
2. Ask for help! (Psalm 70:1)
3. Tell God about your troubles (Psalm 79:4)
4. Admit if you feel abandoned or forsaken (Psalm 89:46-47)
5. Describe what you want God to do (Psalm 90:15)
6. Explain why He should act on your behalf (Psalm 102:18-20)
7. Give a candid appraisal of your enemy (Psalm 109:3)
8. Ask God to put that foe in his place (Psalm 109:6-7)
9. Honestly evaluate your guilt or innocence (Psalm 119:30-31)
10. Confess any sins (Psalm 119:176)
11. Affirm your implicit trust in the Lord (Psalm 121:1-2)
12. Praise God for His deliverance (Psalm 124:6-8)
Blessings,
P.S. Do you struggle with control? Is it hard to allow God to be in the driver’s seat of your life? Join us this Sunday at 9:00am or 10:30am as we probe the subject of surrendering our lives to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment