Thursday, December 4, 2014

Time for some self-evaluation

Every December I begin an internal evaluation of my life. Since there is only one month left in the year I evaluate how my life had been lived. Did I grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus? (2 Peter 3:18) Was I more conformed to the image of His Son than last year? (Romans 8:29)

Did I share Christ with people who have not trusted in Him? How was my marriage? Did I nurture that relationship as I should? How was my influence upon my children and grandchildren? Did I pastor First Free with integrity? You get the point.

But there is something else I do in my evaluation; I ask myself “If this was my last month to live would I finish well?” Would I be able to say as Paul said “I have fought the good fight, I have kept the faith, I have finished the course.” (2 Timothy 4:7)

I want to talk with you about finishing well. To help you understand this week’s Freshly Bru’d you need to read two stories in the Bible. One is about King Uzziah who had a great start (2 Chronicles 26:4) but ended up as a leper (2 Chronicles 26:21). Read the entire chapter to see why Uzziah didn’t finish well.

In contrast to Uzziah is the story of Joseph of Arimathea who had a late start but finished well. (John 19:38-42; Matthew 27:57-61; Mark 15:42-47; Luke 23:50-54) Contrasting these two stories presents four principles we must never forget to finish well.

1. A great start is no guarantee of a happy ending. (Consider Uzziah and these passages: Matthew 13:1-9; 1 Peter 5:9; 1 Corinthians 10:1-13)

2. A late start is better than no start. (Consider Joseph of Arimathea and these passages: Matthew 21:25-32; 1 Timothy 1:12-16)

3. Only a fool stops fearing God. (Proverbs 1:7, 16:18, 19:27; 2 Timothy 2:5; 1 Samuel 15:22)

4. If you've stumbled and fallen, get up and run again. (Proverbs 24:16; Deuteronomy 4:25-29; Revelation 12:10; 1 John 2:1-2; Matthew 21:28-32)

So, this December why not do some internal, honest soul evaluation and make a commitment to finish well; not just this year, but the rest of your life.

Blessings,
 


P.S. This Sunday concludes our series “Bittersweet: The Story of Ruth.” The ending of the story will help prepare you for the significance of Christmas. Come and discover how. 

No comments:

Post a Comment