Thursday, June 11, 2015

How is your memory?

Sorry to say I almost forgot my 39th Anniversary day. It wasn’t until the actual day that I remembered. Not one of my better moves. How is your memory? The older I am getting, the more it seems to be slipping. Cindy can call me at the office five minutes before I am to drive home, tell me to pick up a loaf of bread and I forget to do it. How about your car keys? Every day I waste five minutes of time searching for my car keys. I thought I’d taken them out of my pockets to place them where the keys are to be placed only to discover I forgot to – they’re still in my pocket.

Now, any doctor will tell you the big seven lifestyle based ways to improve your memory. Eat right (celery, cauliflower, walnuts, broccoli, omega 3, fresh vegetables), exercise, stop multitasking, get a good night’s sleep, play brain games, master a new skill (I think I am going to take up knitting.), and try mnemonic devices (like acronyms, rhymes, visualization).

I would like to add an eighth. It probably fits under the brain game skill but it has a dual purpose. It is memorizing Scripture. Not only does it help improve memory, it internalizes God’s truth in your life for all time. The Psalmist declared “How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your Word. With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your Word I have treasured in my heart that I many not sin against You.” (Psalm 119:9-11)

Let me give you some tips for memorizing Scripture in hopes to improve your memory and to help you be continually conscious of God’s Word as you go through your daily routine.

1. Choose a verse to memorize that speaks to something in your life right now.

2. Start small. (John 11:35 says “Jesus wept.” There’s your first verse memorized.)

3. Write the verse down.

4. Say the verse out loud.

5. Incorporate the verse in your prayers.

6. Put the verse everywhere: bathroom mirror, refrigerator, computer, pocket, textbooks, etc…

7. Use music to help. (Sing it or find songs to put to Scripture.)

8. Make it a fun game. (Have someone quiz you or fill in the blank with missing words from the verse.)

9. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Get started today. You will be surprised how Bible memorization will help your memory! Well, unless it’s your 39th anniversary.

Blessings, 


P.S. The second “Hot Potato” topic will explore what the Bible says about same-sex marriage. Don’t miss it. See you this Sunday, June 14th at 9:15am or 11:00am.


No comments:

Post a Comment