Thursday, October 26, 2017

Don't Waste Your Pain

For the last three weeks I have been suffering with some sciatic nerve pain. Perhaps you have seen me waddling up to the platform to preach or walking around with a cane. I must say that the pain is excruciating. And as a typical male, I waited until my arm started getting numb before calling the doctor to learn how to correct the problem.

During my time of suffering, fellow sciatic suffers have given me some therapy tips: ice cube baths, whirl pool baths, chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, sleeping in a recliner, lying on the floor and attempting certain stretches, and of course my favorite suggestion: lose weight.

But, in the midst of the pain, I got to thinking about those people who live with chronic pain. My sciatic pain will eventually subside. But so many people have to live with chronic pain daily. How in the world can they do that?

Then I remembered what the Apostle Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12:9 about his struggle with his pain. He concluded this: ‘God’s grace is all you need, God’s power works best in weakness.’

His grace is sufficient today and will help me today, and then tomorrow His grace will be sufficient and on and on. He gives me the strength, the peace, and the help I need in that moment. When God is all you have, you turn to Him and realize He’s all you needed in the first place.

The thing I’ve come to appreciate about my recent pain episode is ‘when I am weak, the power of Christ works through me’ (2 Corinthians 12:9b). It makes me more compassionate to the pain of others. It helps me identify with the hurts of others.

God never wastes a hurt. He will use the pains, wounds, difficulties of life, to enable us to be better encouragers, prayer warriors, supporters, and comforters of others.


Pastor Mark "The Bru" Brunott

P.S. Did you realize the Bible contains some ‘dirty words?’ Many in our culture would say that these words are perhaps the most demeaning and devaluing words to be spoken. What are they? What do they have to do with relationships? Join me this Sunday at 9:15 or 11:00 AM to discover the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment