In a world of constant change and a culture of rapid change, isn’t it reassuring to have some constants- some things that never change, no matter how fast everything around you does? Here is a list of things you can always bank on, know never change, and give you a sense of security in an ever changing culture:
1. The Bible is still the Word of God. ‘The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of our God stands forever’ (Isaiah 40:8).
2. The Gospel still changes lives. ‘Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and He was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.’ (I Corinthians 15:3-4). ‘For this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life’ (John 3:16). God still changes people from the inside out through the Gospel.
3. Life Groups are vital. Meeting with others in community for prayer, Bible study, accountability, service, and growth is invaluable. ‘They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity- all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people’ (Acts 2:46-47).
4. The Mission Field still needs workers. ‘The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask Him to send more workers into His fields’ (Matthew 9:37-38). Your mission field is outside your front door. You don’t have to travel far to find it.
5. Prayer is still powerful. ‘The earnest prayer of a righteous man has great power and produces wonderful results’ (James 5:16).
6. Hurting people still need ministering to. ‘Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to all people’ (1 Thessalonians 5:14-15).
7. God is still in control. ‘Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for He chose us in advance, and He makes everything work out according to His plan’ (Ephesians 1:11).
The next time you feel overwhelmed with rapid changes and you can’t keep up, remember some things never change. God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
P.S. If we’re honest, the holidays can really be hard. We know that Jesus cares about us. But what difference does that make? Join us this Sunday at 9 or 10:30 AM to find out.