Thursday, April 27, 2017

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is everything. Seriously, everything. Especially when you realize how much you and I need it. I have lived about 23,500 days. Let’s say I only sin five times a day (it’s probably more like 30 times a day, but I can’t add up that many.) That means I have missed the mark of God’s perfection about 117,000 times in my life.
Missing the mark of God’s perfection is called sin. The Bible tells us we are all sinners. That is why we all need a Savior. Any time I miss the mark of perfection that qualifies as a sin in God’s eyes.
  • I think something that God never would think. Sin.
  • I look at something that God would never look at. Sin
  • I say something God would never say. Sin.
  • I don’t do or say something God would do or say. Sin.
  • I look at a person in a way God would never view a person. Sin.
  • I pretend to be something I’m not. Sin.
  • I react in fear rather than respond in faith. Sin.
  • I act selfishly. Sin.
  • I lie. Sin.
  • I treat my wife, children, grandchildren, family, or friends in an uncaring or thoughtless way. Sin.
Wow. Maybe I sin over 100 times a day. Four or five a day would be a good day.
Now, this sounds negative, doesn’t it? You might even be thinking, ‘I don’t like this blog. I should quit reading.’ Wait! Keep reading.
The good news is our sin(s) isn’t a secret to God, and it has never stopped Him from loving you and me. He sees everything you and I do. “Nothing in all of creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before His eyes.” (Hebrews 4:13)
Mind blowing to think He loves me, forgives me, no matter what. Why? Because of me? 
No. 
It’s because of Jesus- who is perfect and became the substitute for my sin when he died on the cross and was raised from the dead.
Now, because of Jesus’ work on the cross, my heavenly Father says…
  • He’s broken, but I can work with that since I’m bigger than his defects.
  • He’s failed me, but he’s forgiven because of my Son.
  • He’s not perfect (yet), but he’s still in progress, and I’ll never give up on him.
  • He’s a mess sometimes, but he’s my mess and my child and the apple of my eye.
I’m His. Period. End of story.

My fellowship with God can be hindered if I don’t confess my sin. That is why every day I spend time confessing my sin. (Read 1 John 1:9.) My union with God through Christ and His work is sealed. I’m personally forgiven because of Jesus. My communion, however, can be diminished if I don’t confess my sin.

Don’t’ you find it a joy knowing that nothing you do can separate you from God and His love? No thing, sin, imperfection, or person- not even myself- can separate us from God’s love! We’ll never earn it or be worthy of it, and we’ll never stop needing it.

The wonder of the cross is the mystery of God’s mercy and grace poured out on you and me every day.

Blessings,
Mark "The Bru" Brunott


P.S. I want to leave a positive mark on this world when I leave it. I believe you do too. How do you leave a legacy that lives on after you die? Come this Sunday and discover as we continue our series on Adventure: How to Make Life Thrilling Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment