Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I'm an "SJ." How about you?

I am going to give you a little insight into my personality type. I am, according to the Meyers/Brigg personality indicator, an extrovert, a sensor when taking information. In other words, I take information through my five senses. Some people take it in intuitively. I am a feeler more than a thinker. In other words, I go with my heart more than my mind. I also have judging life type, meaning I like structure and perimeters more than just “go with the flow.”

Since I am an SJ I like to know how things are to be done and how things work. Here is where the rub comes in for me spiritually. The Bible is clear on the “what” you do; love God, love others, tell others about Jesus, love your bride like Jesus did, be patient, be kind and you can fill in the blank of a host of other commands.

These are things we must do. These are the non-negotiable, not up for debate commands of the Bible. The Bible also has a host of “This is what must happen things.” Those things we must take responsibility for: you must make followers of Jesus, you must raise your kids to fear God, you must respect your husband, you must present your wife spotless.

Ok. So we have the things we must do and a few things that must happen the questions for me is always how?

The Bible doesn't answer the question how? There is a reason for that. We are all different and the Bible was written to transcend time, age, education, culture and context. Our how must come from God. We must pay the price to hear from God how we should carry out His commands. Like husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church. That is a “must do” but how are you supposed to do that?

How you love your spouse is certainly not how I love mine! And how I love her now is not the same as it was 30, 20 or even one year ago. The how must come from God and there is a price for the how – you must listen to Him. It is certainly worth it! It is just a little more challenging if your personality makeup is an SJ like mine.



Blessings,


P.S. Our sermon based Life Group series begins this week. It’s not too late to join a group. If you want to be effective in your Christian walk, come and discover the traits needed to Walk This Way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment